Monday, April 16, 2007

Wines I Like

Last weekend, we enjoyed Geyser Peak Winery's 2006 Sauvignon Blanc with our Sunday dinner (sun-dried tomato/mascarpone stuffed chicken, basmati rice) and it was divine. I tend to like red wines more than whites, as I feel that most reds go with more types of food and can be enjoyed on their own. I don't expect a lot from wines whose grapes are harvested the same year they are bottled; this wine, however, was pleasantly tart (I don't like overly sweet wines) and went extremely well with the meal. Sauvignon blanc is probably the most tart wine you'll drink, and I love it. This one isn't too Sweet-Tarty, and complemented the chicken's lemon hints. I tasted it at the Grapevine Market on Anderson Lane if you'd like to pick up a bottle.

Tonight, Mason was reliving his college days at Crown and Anchor with a friend, so I reheated some stuffed chicken, steamed some green peas and made a bulgur risotto with lemon, Parmigiano-Reggiano and mascarpone cheeses. With this meal, I enjoyed a bottle of 2005 Cooper's Creek Marlborough Reisling, an excellent New Zealand wine. If you're familiar with Rieslings you'd expect it to be sweet, but this one is more tart, which made me love it as I don't like overly sweet wines. It has lemon and citrus hints that went beautifully with the meal, and once I was finished eating it stood on its own. I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Perceptions said...

hey can you send me some recipes? i miss your cooking!! that stuffed chicken sounds delicious!

Stephanie said...

Sure! I'll try to remember to send them tonight.

Anonymous said...

nice! i am happy to say that i am familiar with reislings, so i totally know what you are talking about you big wine snob! haha!